ENGLISH BULLETIN 10AM – 1 AUGUST 2020

In your top stories this hour…
# Increase in truck hijackings described as a labour problem
AND
# Former acting national police commissioner challenges his dismissal
The time is 10 o’clock, I’m ____________________. Good morning.

# The annual crime statistics released on Friday shows an increase of 1.7% in truck hijackings, which Police Minister Bheki Cele describes as a “labour problem”.
More contentious than the 3% increase in robberies at non-residential premises was the continued hike in truck hijackings – with the trucking industry being in turmoil for years now.
There were 1,202 such crimes recorded between April last year and March this year.
Cele explained the trend saying the argument is that the job is given to foreign nationals, while Cele asks if it is wrong to give jobs to foreign nationals.
He said no, it is not, but there are measures that are supposed to be followed.

# Former acting national police commissioner Khomotso Phahlane has challenged his dismissal by going to the Labour Court after what he says was an “unfair and dishonest process”.
Phahlane was arrested in 2019 as part of an investigation by the Independent Police Investigative Directorate into tender irregularities for the purchase of emergency blue lights for the police.
He was placed on suspension in 2017 on misconduct charges and was fired on Thursday.
However, the former commissioner has refuted claims that he has been dismissed from the police, saying he remained an employee with full benefits.

# Twelve people were injured yesterday afternoon following a collision between a bakkie and a taxi in Randfontein.
Paramedics arrived on the scene to find the taxi lying on its side on the side of the road.
The bakkie was found in the middle of the intersection.
Paramedics assessed the patients and found that the male driver of the bakkie sustained severe injuries.
ER24 spokesperson, Russel Meiring, says eleven people from the taxi had sustained minor injuries.
(Play: 200731nClip1.mp3)

And finally…
# Tens of thousands of South Africans have reportedly written complaints to the government over a new policy that would let mobile networks build cellphone infrastructure like 5G towers on private land, which they say could devalue their property.
EWN reports that since Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams gazetted the policy last week, dissent has poured in through the website Dear South Africa, which collects online submissions to challenge or co-form policies before they become law.
The group’s founder, Rob Hutchinson, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation that there are concerns about radiation, about the resale value of properties and about this being used as an excuse to expropriate land without compensation.
Hutchinson said giving residents the chance to air their complaints now through an official channel provides a legal opportunity to shape policy before implementation.

That’s all for this bulletin. Your next news update will be at ______ o’clock.
For (radio station ID)______________ news, I’m _________________.